Creamy apple cranberry pie – the easiest pie ever to combine sweet apples, sour cranberries and vanilla-flavored cream filling. Perfect comfort food!
This easy apple cranberry pie is such a gem – superb flavors, easy to make and so darn pretty too! The pink shades from the cranberries cooking in the oven and releasing their sweet juices will make this pie especially attractive. Choose dark red apples and don’t peel them to really have the color pop with the cranberries, as the apples’ color fades a little in the oven. I highly recommend using organic apples if you are going to use them unpeeled.
The best part about this cheerful little pie is the harmony of the flavors and textures. The soft but perfectly crumbly crust is one of my favorites and tastes like delicious oatmeal cookies. The pie gets its juiciness from the relatively thick apple slices I like to use and of course from the velvety sour cream and vanilla filling.
Cranberries add that beautiful color but also serve as the fresh dash of tartness, so that the pie will not become overly sweet. And finally, the toasted almond slivers top this gorgeous apple pie, giving it some extra crunch and that wonderful roasted, toasted flavor.
You could also add your favorite spices like cinnamon, but for this apple pie I love letting the apples, oats, vanilla and cranberries work their wholesome magic without any interruptions from additional, more overbearing flavors. Leaving the stronger spices on the shelf this time really lets these humble ingredients shine and combine into an irresistible apple cranberry pie, the ultimate comfort food. Yet another example of simple things being the best things.
FOR THE CRUST
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup regular rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 egg
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 large red apple
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- handful of fresh cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Butter a round 9″ pie dish. In a medium bowl, mix flour, rolled oats, baking powder and sugar.
- Add oil and egg to the flour mixture. Gently mix until the batter has an even consistency. Don’t over-mix.
- Spread the batter evenly on the bottom of the pie dish and on the sides, patting with your fingers.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, sour cream, vanilla seeds scraped from the pod, milk and sugar. Pour the mixture on the pie crust.
- Remove the core of the apple and cut it in half vertically. Then cut both halves into slices and arrange on top of the filling. Sprinkle the cranberries evenly on top.
- Bake on the lowest rack for about 25-30 minutes or until the edges have slightly browned and the filling has set.
- Meanwhile, lightly toast the almond slivers on a dry frying pan over medium heat, until they turn into a golden color. Take care not to burn. Let cool a while, then sprinkle on top of the pie when it is ready.