Creamy, rich ricotta cheese, a soft, crumbly crust and juicy berries – easy dessert recipe for an unforgettably delicious ricotta berry pie.
I am totally and completely a summer person. During the warm and sunny part of the year, it feels like the happy half of my dualistic self dominates, taking charge every day and energetically embracing each morning with those first sharp sunbeams coming through the bedroom window.
In the winter though, it’s a different story. Any free moments are spent daydreaming of that first time in the spring when to your surprise you don’t shudder from the cold when you open the door to go outside. Planning the next vacation, thinking about getting in shape for the upcoming bikini season (while not actually doing anything about it) and fantasizing about wearing open-toe shoes again.
But the coldness and darkness of wintertime can be fought, and this is a skill I have honed over the years, let me tell you. When all the Christmas stuff is over and done with and yet you have sooo many months till summer, I simply look for the summery ingredients in the grocery store and bake myself happy.
Even with frozen berries, you still get that great taste of sunshine and warm nights, and this Ricotta Berry Pie truly is a slice of summer. Very easy and fast to make, you can easily whip this up after dinner as a dessert even if you have company. The smoothness of the ricotta and the juicy berry flavors are so good together, and you can use whatever berries you have except for frozen strawberries, which will make the pie too soggy and mushy. I used a combo of blueberries and raspberries which was delicious with the cinnamon.
So to make the wait for summer a little more enjoyable, bake yourself a little preview. Guaranteed to make you say mmmmm.
Ricotta Berry Pie Recipe
FOR THE CRUST:
1 cup flour
½ cup regular rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
½ cup canola oil
FOR THE FILLING:
1 ½ cups blueberries and raspberries
¾ cup ricotta
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F. Grease a round 9″ pie dish. In a medium bowl mix flour, rolled oats, baking powder and sugar.
2. Add oil and egg to the flour mixture. Mix carefully until the batter has an even consistency. Don’t over-mix.
3. Spread the batter evenly into the pie dish and on the sides, patting with your fingers.
4. Distribute the berries evenly on the crust. Sprinkle on the cinnamon.
5. In another bowl, whisk together the egg, ricotta, vanilla, milk and sugar. Pour the mixture evenly on top of the berries.
6. Bake on the lowest rack for about 25-30 minutes or until the edges have slightly browned and the ricotta filling has set.