A really easy soft scones recipe that will give you the juiciest, most flavor-packed scones ever. Simple and quick breakfast recipe with no added sugar, with major flavor from raspberries and ginger.
I really hate eating hard and dry scones and this soft scones recipe is the complete opposite of that. There’s whole heap of raspberries in these soft scones, and the juiciness of the result is just unreal. Lip-smacking levels of greatness, in fact.
There is no sugar in the dough (although you could never tell by the great taste) and I added some whole wheat flour to make the scones a bit healthier, so you can munch on these pretty much guilt-free. The fresh ginger adds a nice twist to the flavor but is not too overpowering.
But the real star power of these scones comes from the fresh raspberries. Imagine biting into a perfectly glazed, supremely soft scone when the intense flavor of the still-warm raspberries and the fresh ginger just make a tiny delicious fireworks show in your mouth… What a great way to start your day! With this incredibly quick to make soft scones recipe, you can do that anytime.
The raspberry-flavored glazing is the indulgently sweet finishing touch, and using fresh raspberry juice to make it will double the berrylicious pleasure, so don’t skip it. If you only have raspberries enough for the scones, you can always make the glaze with some cream instead of the berry juice, but the berry version is sooo much better, totally worth buying all those raspberries. Not to mention that the bright pink color of the berry glaze is really pretty.
These flavor-packed soft scones are also truly impressive crowd-pleasers to make for breakfast when you have people staying the night, and are really quick to whip up too.
Soft Ginger Raspberry Scones
FOR THE SCONES:
½ cup whole wheat flour
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons honey
1 stick butter
½ cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
1 cup fresh raspberries
FOR THE GLAZE:
1 cup fresh raspberries
1 cup powdered sugar
1. Grate the ginger and preheat the oven to 425° F. In a bowl, combine both flours, baking powder and salt.
2. Soften the butter in the microwave without melting it completely. Put the butter in the flour bowl and mix briefly to incorporate. Add honey, egg, grated ginger and cream. Mix gently to create an even consistency, do not overmix. Lastly, carefully add the raspberries and gently fold in the dough. Shape it quickly into a round disc and place on a baking sheet lined with lightly floured parchment paper. (If you want intact berries, quickly form the dough into a rough disk, pour the berries on one half and fold the remaining half over the berries, pinching the seam closed at the edges. Carefully shape the dough into a round with the seam down and place on a baking sheet lined with lightly floured parchment paper.)
3. Gently flatten the round disc with your hand until it is ½ inch thick, retaining the round shape. Using a sharp knife, cut the disc into 8 pieces and carefully pull them a little apart from each other to prevent sticking together in the oven.
4. Bake for 10 minutes on until the tops have just a bit of golden color.
5. In the meantime, make the glaze. Measure the powdered sugar into a small bowl. Pour some of the berries into a fine mesh sift, hold it over the sugar bowl and press with a large spoon to get the juice out, into the bowl. Do this in batches, mixing in between until you get the consistency you want. The glaze should be gooey and easy to drizzle with a spoon but not watery.
6. Serve the scones warm or refrigerate in airtight containers.