This juicy and soft vegan apple muffins recipe is quick to make and is an easy plant-based apple dessert. The apple muffins taste super fruity and plenty of cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg bring out the apple flavor so nicely.
If you are itching to make a batch of moist, soft vegan apple muffins that will convince anyone who has ever doubted the deliciousness of vegan baking, then look no further! You would never know that no animal products were used in this recipe and you don’t have to find any fancy ingredients to replace them either. The secret is in the mashed (very ripe!) banana that gives these apple muffins their soft texture without any eggs.
I have never made these vegan apple muffins without someone asking for the recipe, and usually it is those who have previously thought that vegan recipes are not quite as satisfying as regular baking that end up loving these muffins the most. As most muffins, these work great as additions to kids’ lunch boxes and they stay wonderfully moist for several days because of the high fruit content.
Tip: add raisins or dried cranberries for added flavor!
1 1/2 cups apple, diced
1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 + 2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 large mashed ripe banana
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup soy milk or other plant milk
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Put paper liners into a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, combine diced apples, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, and toss together.
- In a large bowl, mash the banana with a fork. Then add sugar, plant milk, oil, vanilla, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, nutmeg, and mix until combined.
- Add 1 cup flour, baking powder, salt, and stir until just combined; don’t overmix. Fold in diced apples.
- Spoon the batter equally in the slots of the muffin tin.
Bake for about 17-20 minutes, or until the tops look puffy, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 10-15 minutes before removing and placing on a rack to cool completely.