Super fast, deliciously creamy rhubarb pie with a sweet brown sugar filling to balance the acidity of the rhubarb. Perfect summery treat and easy too!
This is a wonderfully easy and satisfying recipe for a no-fuss, simple rhubarb pie. You will love that crisp, tart flavor of rhubarb, combined with the softness of créme fraiche and the sweetness of brown sugar.
The crust is very easy to make and requires no lengthy refrigerating or tedious rolling techniques. This is a country-style rhubarb pie recipe that is as effortless to prepare as it is rewarding.
Brown Sugar Rhubarb Pie
FOR THE DOUGH:
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup milk
FOR THE FILLING:
1 1/2 cups peeled, chopped rhubarb
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 cups créme fraiche
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- Set the oven to 350 F. Peel and cube enough fresh rhubarb until you have 1 1/2 cups worth of cubes. Place the cubes in a bowl and mix with the 3 tablespoons of sugar and let sit in room temperature for the time it takes you to prepare the dough.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and sugar, mix well. Add milk and oil, mix only to even out the texture. If the batter seems too dry, add more milk one spoonful at a time.
- Pat the dough on the bottom and edges of a standard pie dish, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for the time it takes you to prepare the filling.
- Pour the rhubarb cubes into a mesh sieve, squeezing out the excess liquid with your hands or a spoon.
- In a bowl, combine the egg, vanilla, brown sugar and créme fraiche, mix until combined.
- Take out the pie dish, pour the rhubarb cubes on the dough and spread them on it evenly. Pour the filling on top of rhubarb pieces so that it covers them evenly.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and the filling has set.