An easy coffee cake recipe for a delicious apple ginger cake that is full of flavor and requires very little effort. A great make-ahead recipe as the flavors only get better after a day in the fridge.
Here is a great, easy recipe for a moist and delicious coffee cake that you can customize to your liking with nuts, spices and dried fruit – whatever you have handy in the pantry. I made mine with apples, raisins and freshly grated ginger which was a nice, flavorful combo. The apples give the cake a nice juicy texture and the fresh ginger adds that wonderful crisp flavor.
This apple ginger cake is also a nice make-ahead recipe, since the cake will only get better from storing it in the fridge for a day, it gives the flavors some extra depth. The great thing about coffee cakes is that they are so easy to make: no kneading, no waiting for the dough to rise. Just mix the ingredients, pour in the pan and relax.
Oh, and this goes especially well with a generous dollop of freshly whipped cream! Enjoy!
Apple Ginger Cake Recipe
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Whipping cream for garnish, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Use butter to grease and flour a standard Bundt pan.
- Peel the apples and cut to bits the size of your liking. Peel the ginger and grate until you have 2 teaspoons worth.
- In a bowl, combine both sugars, eggs, oil and mix until the texture is even. Add apples, grated ginger and raisins, mix.
- Add cinnamon and nutmeg. Measure the flour into a small bowl, add baking soda to the flour and mix together. Add the flour mixture to the original bowl and fold in, mixing gently and only until the texture is smooth with no flour or clumps visible.
- Pour the batter into the pan, bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for a while, then turn out. Serve with fresh whipped cream.