Easy, sugar-free, dairy-free healthy pumpkin muffins are a guilt-free way to indulge and celebrate the pumpkin season, also perfect for kids’ lunch boxes.
Looking for an easy recipe for a pumpkin dessert that will be on the healthier side but still delicious? Then these moist, soft, and fluffy muffins are perfect for you. My kids love these healthy pumpkin muffins and you can also spice things up by adding your favorites to the mix, like chocolate chips, different nuts, or raisins. I personally adore the combination of the tartness of cranberries and the sweetness of the pumpkin.
Feel free to substitute the maple syrup with honey if that is what you have handy, but for me, the smooth sweetness of maple syrup is just perfect for this recipe. The cashews add just the right amount of gentle crunch to keep the texture interesting.
This recipe for healthy pumpkin muffins is so easy that kids will happily participate in making them (and you won’t have to worry about messing up the recipe). Like pretty much all muffins, all it takes is mixing all ingredients and spooning the batter into the muffin tin. Get ready to have your kitchen smelling like pumpkin season heaven in just a few minutes.
Healthy pumpkin muffins recipe
⅓ cup canola oil
½ cup maple syrup
½ cup dried cranberries
1 cup pumpkin purée
¼ cup chopped cashews
¼ cup soy milk or other plant milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons pumpkin spice mix (or: ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg, and ¼ teaspoon ground cloves)
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
1 cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup spelt flour
⅓ cup old-fashioned oats (not instant)
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 325° F. Place paper muffin tin liners to all 12 cups of the muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk the oil and maple syrup together. Add eggs and mix until smooth. Add the pumpkin puree, cashews, plant milk, vanilla extract, cardamom and the pumpkin spice mix and mix until even.
- In another bowl, mix together both flours, oats, baking soda and baking powder. Pour the flour mixture into the egg mixture and gently stir with a spoon until just combined.
- Spoon batter into the muffin cups. Bake on the center rack for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Place the muffin tin on a cooling rack and let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Tip: Add chocolate chips, dried chopped apricots or raisins to get more variety!