Perfectly easy and delicious savory asparagus snack and a great idea for an asparagus appetizer.
Super easy to make, this savory asparagus appetizer recipe celebrates the delicate taste of fresh asparagus, wrapped in a cheese-flavored blanket of buttery dough, filled with perfectly salty feta cheese. Sounds kinda perfect to me!
These rolls look very cute on any table and are very addictive as snacks or appetizers. This is just an effortless way to make something tasty and fresh with asparagus, if you have gone through all the usual recipes, but want to extend the asparagus season a bit longer without actually having to make the same things over and over.
Keep a close watch on the rolls as they bake, since as you can see from my photos, I kept them in the oven just a litte too long and although they tasted just fine, gorgeous actually, the look was a bit too dark for me.
These keep well in the fridge, just cover with plastic and zap 10-20 seconds in the microwave to really wake those flavors up before serving.
Easy Asparagus Appetizer Recipe
FOR THE DOUGH:
1 ½ cups flour
1 cup grated cheese of your choice
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ stick cold butter
¾ cup sour cream
FOR THE FILLING:
24 stalks of fresh asparagus
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1-2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
1 egg for brushing
1. Preheat the oven to 425° F. In a bowl, mix together flour, salt and baking powder. Add grated cheese and toss with your fingers to mix.
2. Using your fingers, pick apart the cold butter into the flour mix until you have a texture resembling a coarse crumbly meal.
3. Add the sour cream and squish gently with your hand to combine until the texture is even. Don’t over-work the dough.
4. Split the dough in two parts equal in size. Flour a working surface and place one half of the dough on it and roll the dough into a round shape, roughly 12 inches in diameter.
5. Using a wheel cutter or a pizza cutter, slice up the dough horizontally, then vertically, then cutting the four pieces in half to make 6 triangles.
6. Mix together the filling ingredients in a bowl, then divide the filling in half.
7. Place roughly two teaspoons of filling on the wide end of each triangle, leaving a ½ inch space from the edge so the rolling is easier. Repeat on every triangle until you have used all of the first half of filling. Place two asparagus stalks on each triangle, on the wide end, cut to a proper length and peeled if necessary.
8. Roll up the triangles tightly but gently starting from the wide end and working toward the sharp end.
9. Put a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet and place the rolls on it, leaving the sharp tip of the roll under it, so it stays together in the oven.
10. Repeat the process for the other half of the dough and the second half of filling.
11. Lightly whisk an egg with a fork and brush the tops of the rolls with the egg. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until the tops are a beautiful golden brown color.